Vietnam tourism has fully recovered, thus entering a new stage of development, said Nguyen Van Tuan, head of the Vietnam National Administration of Tourism (VNAT).
Tuan highlighted the recovery of the tourism sector at a press conference held by Binh Dinh Province in Hanoi on March 30 to announce a conference on tourism investment and development in the central coast province in April.
Tuan said the sector has served 2.5 million international visitors and 18.5 million domestic tourists in the first quarter of this year, up 10% year-on-year. Tourism revenue has amounted to VND110 trillion (US$4.9 billion) with 60% contributed by the inbound segment.
A report of the Government showed that international tourist arrivals in Vietnam in the first two months of 2016 stood at 1.64 million, up 16% compared to the same period last year.
Tuan said a number of large-scale tourism projects have been completed this year and many of them invested by private corporations like FLC, Muong Thanh, Sun Group, Tuan Chau and Vingroup will be put into service next month.
Visitor arrivals from several major source markets started to decline after the worker protests against China’s illegal placement of a giant oil rig in Vietnam’s exclusive economic zone in the East Sea in May 2014. The Government reported to the National Assembly that tensions in the East Sea were one of the main reasons behind the sharp decline in international visitors to Vietnam in the first half of 2015.
However, international arrivals started to recover in the July-December period last year and the number for the whole year reached 7.9 million, equivalent to that of 2014.