I have seen someone asking "where should i start to travel Vietnam from Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh city?", there are some different answers that make people confused. Below are our suggestions where to start.
1. For the first time holiday to Vietnam, tourists can both obtain Vietnam visa on arrival. So choose where it is cheaper and more convenient for you to fly to.
2. Ho Chi Minh city is the largest city of Vietnam and more exciting than the other cities, so starting your trip in Ho Chi Minh city will be good to be used to travelling in this country. Again, you will feel more relaxed when heading to the central and north part because the pace of travel is more comfortable.
3. During Summer in Vietnam (May - September), the south and central part will have more rain than the north and it is also much warmer. Travelling from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi must be better choice. Especially if you are on family vacation in Vietnam.
4. In Winter time from October to December, it is cool in the north, but can be cold sometimes. Hanoi should be where you start your travel as it is warmer in the central and southern part. Furthermore, if you love beaches, it will be nicer to finish your holiday at one of the beaches in Hoi An, Nha Trang, Mui Ne or Phu Quoc island. So start your Vietnam tour from Hanoi and end in Ho Chi Minh city.
5. Listen to your needs - Your Vietnam itinerary should be flexibly customized. What you want to see and do, will decide where to start. It seems to be difficult for you to know if this is your first trip to Vietnam. The best way is to contact a local Vietnam travel agent for advice.
6. If you go on an Indochina tour that combine Vietnam with other regional countrie like Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar or Thailand. The tour itinerary should be designed in a logical way which matches your flight schedules and how to save your travel cost. Vietnam travel agencies know this well.