Hanoi is the capital city of Vietnam and has been listed as the best world destination with awesome places to visit, best value for travelers and a lot of interesting things to do during your holiday in Vietnam.
Hanoi has Noi Bai international airport, which is just 30km from the city centre and Vietnam visa on arrival can be obtained there. If you have visited Bangkok, Phnom Penh, Vientiane - the capital city of Thailand, Cambodia and Laos, you must agree that Hanoi is far nicer with beautiful museum buildings, green trees, charming lakes and many cultural sites within walking distance.
Below are top things to do in Hanoi:
1. Cyclo tour and water puppet show - This can be the best things to do in Hanoi in the late afternoon, a cycle ride will take you around the old quarter so that you can see the hidden streets, enjoy taking photos, watch local people's life, etc. Cyclo ride is fun as it forces the way through forest of motorbikes. However, it is safe. After an hour, cyclo will stop at the Water Puppet theatre and do not forget to buy a ticket to enjoy this special and unique show. Water Puppet is an art of playing puppet on water, only in Vietnam. The show tells you about the life, culture and stories in Vietnam.
2. Hanoi street food - If you stay within the old quarter, it is easy to find the world's best street foods around the hotel which are cheap, but delicious. The top dishes are Cha Ca, Pho, Bun Bo, Bun Cha, Bun Rieu, Bun Dau, Banh My, Xoi, Nem Tai, etc. We advise that you book this Hanoi street food tour with a loca travel agent in Hanoi and a tour guide will be escorted to show you around as well as introduce more about Vietnamese cuisine, the recipe of cooking.
3. Historical and cultura sites - Hanoi city tour must be on your intinerary, the top places to visit in Hanoi are Ho Chi Minh mausoleum, One pillar pagoda, Temple of Literature, Ngoc Son temple, Tran Quoc pagoda, Hilton prison, museums, etc.
4. Duong Lam Ancient village - The first recognised ancient village in Vietnam where houses built by sandstones and the typical architecture represented for the north of Vietnam. Especially, tourists can see way of living, learn about spiritual life. Duong Lam Ancient village is a wonderful place for cycling around the picturesque counntryside, visiting temples, rice paddy fields, etc.
5. Perfume pagoda - To be a real buddist, Vietnamese must visit Perfume pagoda once in their lifetime. Perfume pagoda festival is the longest one in Vietnam. For tourists, Perfume pagoda is an interesting tour to enjoy scenic landscape on boat trip, a walking visit to famous pagoda and holy cave. Nothing more to expect in a day to find peace in mind at Perfume pagoda.
Should you want more information, please read our Hanoi travel guide.