Pattaya a seaside resort on the Eastern Gulf Coast is 150 km southeast of Bangkok. The resort has a reputation for parties though there is more to it than that. It was a recreational centre for American soldiers during the Vietnam War and party time grew from there with greater access to air travel.
There are huge numbers of bars, clubs and restaurants for every pocket with many seemingly always open.
How to get there
Connections with Bangkok are excellent so Pattaya is an extremely accessible resort. During the rush hour time is variable but Bangkok to Pattaya should be less than two hours by car or bus away from then.Thailand travel packages will arrange a private bus for clients.
On weekdays the cheapest way to get from Bangkok to Pattaya is by rail though the service is slow.
Best time to visit Pattaya
The majority of the rain falls between the months of May and October. Pattaya really has a single season and that is 24/7 12 months a year. A holiday in Thailand often includes time in Pattaya.
Things to see and do in Pattaya
There are a number of beaches including a 3 km one in the centre. There are less crowded one with Jomtien the place many head for to enjoy water sports. Wong Phrachan Beach to the north is a favourite with swimmers.
Activities at the beach range from jet skiing and water skiing to kitesurfing and windsurfing. Scuba diving and snorkelling are both popular and there are tours available out to nearby islands.
There are golf courses with caddies available and likely someone to hold an umbrella above you, not for the rain but to shield you from the sun.
Pattaya has some attractions to consider away from the beach and water sports though comprehensive Thailand tour packages have better attractions elsewhere:
• Buddha Hill is the place where you can look down over Pattaya. There is a huge statue of Buddha there. The next hill has a monument and Wat Khao Phra Bat
• Chaloemphrakiat Park was dedicated to the king on his 60th birthday in 1988.
• Sanctuary of Truthis a wooden temple by the sea
• Wat Yanasangwararam Woramahawihanis perhaps the temple worth a visit.
• Nong Nooch Tropical Garden has nice waterfalls and cultural performances.
• Siriphon Orchid Farm is a definite splash of colour.
• The Million-Year Stone Park and Crocodile Farm and Underwater World are nice for those on Thailand family tours.
Festivals take place at International New Year and Thai New Year in mid-April.
Accommodation in Pattaya
Pattaya is full of guesthouses and hotels. No one will ever arrive and be unable to find a bed. Those on Thailand tour packages will have been given a choice when they book and all the arrangements will be in place. It is worth packing ear plugs if you are staying centrally.
There are scams in places where so many people gather so take care and certainly be extremely careful crossing the road because traffic is heavy and tends to ignore pedestrians.