Known as the mountainous and isolated region for a long time, the northwest of Vietnam offers unforgettable tour to explore amazing landscapes and rich culture of many ethnic minority groups living in the northwest provinces:
1. Hoa Binh is the gate to the northwest and people normally book a homestay tour to Mai Chau valley where is perfect for trekking and cycling around the villages of the Thai people.
2. Son La is the next stop during your northwest tour, it is beautiful drive from Mai Chau to Moc Chau plateau as you can see green tea plantation, corn fields picturesque countryside. In Son La, the best attraction is Son La prison which built by the French in 1908.
3.Conquering Pha Din pass, we come to Dien Bien Phu, its name was famous in the Indochina wars, Dien Bien still keeps some historical sites and it is worth seeing to learn about Vietnamese history and people. From Dien Bien, tourists can cross Tay Trang border to Laos.
4. Lai Chau province is a charming natural scenery, rich tourism potential. It also has the minority villages with many traditions such as Sin Ho, Muong Lai stream, Tien Son cave.
5. Lao Cai has so many tourist attractions like Sapa town, mountains, rice terraces, ethnic market in Coc Ly, Cao Son, Can Cau, Bac Ha or mysterious Y Ty.
6. Yen Bai has Thac Ba Lake which is called "Halong bay in the mountain" and impressive rice terraces in Mu Cang Chai.
The best time to visit the northwest Vietnam.
It is from June to early October when you can see green mountains of rice terraces, corn fields, farming activities...
Suggested tour to the northwest:
Day 1: Hanoi - Mai Chau
Day 2: Mai Chau - Nghia Lo
Day 3: Nghia Lo - Mu Cang Chai
Day 4: Mu Cang Chai - Sapa
Day 5: Sapa
Day 6: Sapa - Hanoi