About 240 km from Hanoi andlocated in Bac Can, northeastern province of Vietnam, Ba Be lake listed as one of the 20 largest fresh water lake of the world since 1995. Ba Be lake is also very picturesque and has become a destination for many northeast Vietnam tours.
Things to do in Ba Be lake
Homestay: Pac Ngoi village of the Tay minority in the heart of Ba Be lake is an ideal place for homestay experience. The village is calm, peaceful and villagers earn their living by catching fishes and farming. Stayin in Ba Be, tourists can relax, take a walk around the village to shoot nice photos or take part in their daily life activities.
Boat trip: This is the highlight of your stay in Ba Be lake, the boat trip takes half or full day to visit the attractions here such as Dau Dang Waterfalls, Bat cave.
Trekking: With over 200 bird and 350 butterfly species, Ba Be national park offers a fantastic trekking tour through the jungles and visit the villages of the H'Mong, Dao and Tay minority.
Best time to visit Ba Be lake
The best time to visit Ba Be lake is dry season from around October to December when it is cool, the lake is calm and clear,
How to get to Ba Be lake?
From Hanoi, you can take the local bus as below:
1. My Dinh station (10h00) - Cho Don town (16h00) - Bo Lu village (17h00)
2. Gia Lam station (9h30) - Thai Nguyen station (12h00) - Bo Lu village (17h30)
3. Hire a private car and driver from a travel company or travel agent in Hanoi. Experienced driver can speak English a little or understand what you want.
Accommodations in Ba Be lake
The best option is to stay with a local family at Pac Ngoi village. The stilt-house is like in Mai Chau, clean and comfortable with western bathroom, hot/cold shower, sheet and mattress, blanket and mosquito net.
In case, you do not want to stay with a local family, you can stay at Ba Be national park's guest house or a mini hotel in Cho Gia (20km from Ba Be lake).
- Local bus from Hanoi - Ba Be lake is around US $ 10 per person
- Entrance fee: 25.000 VND (around US $ 1 per person)
- Homestay: 80.000 VND (around US $ 4 per person)
- Meals: Lunch/Dinner is from US $ 8 - US $ 10 per person per meal, breakfast is US $ 3 per person.
- Boat trip: 600.000 VND (around US $28)
Suggested tour to Ba Be lake
Day 1: Hanoi - Thai Nguyen - Ba Be lake - Homestay
Day 2: Ba Be Lake discovery - homestay
Day 3: Ba Be lake - Hanoi
- Ba Be lake is one of the beautiful stop during the northeast tour in Vietnam. From Ba Be lake, tourists can travel to visit Ban Gioc waterfall in Cao Bang or Dong Van rock plateau...