Most Myanmar tour packages start in Yangon before taking tourists on their Myanmar travel itinerary to places such as Bagan and Mandalay. There is plenty of accommodation in the former capital; after all it is still the largest city in Myanmar and has the infrastructure because of that.
Increasing numbers are starting to take holidays in Myanmar and if you have not considered a Tour in Myanmar before, check it out. Myanmar tours can be tailored to clients’ interests with Yangon an obvious inclusion; indeed the city is in all Indochina tours as well.
You can expect your Myanmar travel agent to make all the necessary arrangements but if you want to get some ideas of places to stay before talking to a Myanmar travel agent, here are some places that you should look at more closely:
• Inya Lake Hotel in Kaba Aye Pagoda Road borders of the Lake and is only about a 15-minute drive from the heart of the city. It is colonial style, teak floors and a real oriental feel. The hotel is set in a large is tropical landscaped garden.
• Parkroyal Yangon Alan Pya Paya Road is 5 star, a hotel with 272 rooms and plenty of choice for dining and entertainment; La Brasserie International, Phoenix Court Chinese and Shiki-Tei Japanese Restaurants with a Lobby Bar and a Music Club is in the basement.
• Chatrium Hotel Royal Lake Yangon on Natmauk Road is another 5-star luxury hotel in the centre of Yangon and only 30 minutes from the International Airport. It is located on the western shore of Royal Lake (Kandawgyi), facing the Shwedagon Pagoda. There are 303 rooms including 37 suites, 3 restaurants, 2 bars, spa and health club as well as a pool garden.
• Summit Parkview Hotel on Ahlone Road is just to west of Shwedagon Pagoda and offers great views of that major landmark. There is a good restaurant and bar.
• Sedona on Kaba Aye Pagoda Road close to Inya Lake, is built in Burmese style, 366 rooms in all.
• The Governor's Residence on Taw Win Road is renovated mansion, once the guest house for Kachin State officials. The teak gives the feel of real quality and location is in one of the city's most exclusive neighbourhoods. There are 48 rooms, lovely gardens, a swimming pool and several good restaurants.
• Savoy Hotel onDhammazedi Road is another old colonial building with period furniture and décor; few Yangon hotels have more charm. There are dining facilities and a swimming pool.
• Sule Shangri-La Hotel on Sule Pagoda Road was the original business hotel in the city. There is a swimming pool, and a restaurant offering Chinese, Burmese, Indian and Western cuisine.
• The Strand on Strand Road is another five-star in a colonial building dated back to 1901. It has been well restored, and offers large rooms with teak flooring and furniture as well as a cafe and bar.
• Yuzana Garden Hotel on Signal Pagoda Road is another colonial setting with 37 rooms.