Being well-known as a charming city with either ancient features or modernity, Hanoi is really a great stopover in your Vietnam family vacation. In addition, Hanoi is also the political, cultural and economic center of Vietnam where you can join numerous activities like walking, eating, shopping besides visiting to historical and cultural destinations. Kids love outdoor activities, obviously, then don’t you’re your kids disappointed by planning properly the best things to do with them while you are traveling in Hanoi and your family will surely have life-time experience.
1. Walking streets: From the early of Sep 2016, many streets around Hoan Kiem Lake are opened for pedestrians in association with the old ones around Hanoi night market. The new walking streets are really fantastic as they are well controlled and offer a lot of interesting games like tug of war, skipping, etc or small shows performed by local singers. Those streets are opened for walkers from Fridays to Sundays and from 7pm till 12pm. It is really a great way for your kids to enjoy a beautiful Hanoi in nightlight that can be hardly seen.
2. Hanoi night market: Taken place on every weekend from Friday to Sunday, Hanoi night market offers dozens of products from souvenirs to clothes, silk, shoes, bags, food etc. However, it is not only for shopping but also for wandering around, enjoying the amazing trading scenes and tasting delicious street foods.
3. Hanoi street foods & drinks: Everyone knows that Hanoi is a paradise of street foods that reveal either perfect cuisine or local culture and lifestyles. Besides tasty street foods, you can visit local markets and learn about local ingredients that are totally different from yours. Tips for having a safe and interesting street food tour is that you should be escorted by a tour guide who will know exactly about the best street foods in Hanoi to try and where to go.
4. Cooking class: Vietnamese cuisine is different from North to South that you can surely understand while traveling in Vietnam and tasting different dishes throughout the country. Basically, cuisine in the North in general and Hanoi in particular is regarded as the most quintessential one thanks to its perfection combination of materials. Then joining a cooking class in Hanoi is highly recommended if your children are teenagers and you will learn how to cook many traditional Vietnamese dishes.
5. Morning exercises in Hoan Kiem Lake: Hoan Kiem Lake – a beautiful lake in the heart of Hanoi city center attracts a lot of local people to come and do morning exercises every day. However, the fantastic thing is about the local ways of practicing their exercises that are unlike to anything you have ever seen.
6. Cyclo riding or electric car: Walking seems to be too hard for kids and they can’t walk for a long distance, actually. Then cyclo riding and electric car are other great options for having an overview of the old quarters along with discovering the daily life activities of Hanoians. Best time for cyclo riding or electric car is in the early morning when you can enjoy the fresh atmosphere or late afternoon when the city is lit up with colorful neon lights.
7. Water Puppet show: Water puppet show is considered as a "must-do" activity while traveling in Hanoi with kids. The show is full of Vietnamese traditional features, fairy tales and funny stories. Your kids will be amazed and attracted by the effervescent music as well as the lovely puppets. There are around 4 – 5 shows a day that start from 3pm and the schedule is subjected to change based on season. The ticket fee is 5 usd per person.
8. Massage & Spa: Besides high-cost massage salons, you can try cheap but amazing massages at Tue Tinh street where is famous for its materials – traditional herbs. With lower than 5 usd per person, your family can get a great foot massage.