Con Dao has yet really to hit the overseas’ tourist map. As a result, the infrastructure may lag behind more popular Vietnam beach resorts but it seems certain that Vietnam travel agents will increasingly advise Con Dao as a good place to include in Vietnam tour packages for those wanting to spend time on the coast. There is no better way to relax during a busy schedule or wind down at the end of one that a beach and clear blue sea.
Many Vietnamese travel to Con Dao to visit the famous cemetery and remember the heroes of the fight for independence. It means there is existing demand and in all likelihood that demand will rise as Con Dao is ‘’discovered’’ by international travellers. If you are travelling independently, you can get transfers from the airport from many of the places mentioned below while if you are on an organised tour, all the arrangements will be made for you.
At present the best hotel is certainly the Six Senses Con Dao, a resort and spa just 10 minutes from the airport and a similar distance from town. There are 50 private villas, pools and a lovely beach nearby. Guests can expect butler service, great views and luxury all the way.
There are others that certainly provide visitors with all they might need:
• ATC Resort has gained a reputation for its good food, even if it is slightly more expensive that many others.
• Villa Maison Con Dao Boutique Hotel is 400 metres from the harbour and prides itself of its service and cuisine as well as its spacious rooms.
• Con Dao Resort is made up of a number of bungalows for guests that can walk out straight on to a fairly quiet beach.
• Poulo Condor Boutique Resort and Spa is situated on a beach in front of green hillsides. The setting is lovely with villas and suites on offer for guests.
• Trung Hau Hotel is in town, 800 metres from the harbour with good en suite rooms, free wi-fi and a 24-hour reception to help with guests’ needs.
• Ba Doan Guest House Con Dao is opposite An Hai beach and a kilometre from the local market. The hotel offers en suite accommodation, free wi-fi and air conditioning throughout. There is a tour desk and airport transfer facility with restaurants located close by.
• Con Dao Sea Travel Resort is at the end of town and its accommodation is in the form of bungalows right next to the beach which is fairly quiet most of the time.
• Saigon-Con Dao Resort is a government-owned establishment which may lack character but it is clean and the swimming pool is lovely.
• San Ho Xanh Con Dao Resort fronts on to An Hai Beach and is 600 metres from the town centre. There is a bar and sun terrace offering great views over the sea with each bungalow well-equipped with everything guests might need. Water sports can be arranged with reception that is open 24/7.