It is only in recent years that Myanmar has returned to the tourist map. After years of isolation, numbers are starting to return to Myanmar and as a result there is ongoing work on its tourist infrastructure. There is still a way to go but most travellers booking Myanmar toursunderstand that there may be the off inconvenience but the rewards that Bagan offers is worth it. When it comes to the best time to visit Myanmar, the highest numbers arrive in winter between November and February when temperatures begin to rise from the normal 30 C when they may even go to the mid-40s. The highest rainfall is between June and October when getting around remote areas may be difficult. It will however mean fewer crowds.
There has been some work to increase the quality of accommodation in Bagan which is the top destination in the country, and if you are bookingMyanmar travel packages, your accommodation will be pre-booked.
The local population largely live in New Bagan but many of the top hotels are in Old Bagan.
Here are some of the best hotels on offer if you are in the early stages of thinking about an Indochina tour and specifically including Bagan.
• Aureum Palace Hotel & Resort Bagan is Bagan’s top accommodation located within Old Bagan and its numerous temples.
• The Hotel at Tharabar Gate, another in Old Bagan, has good facilities, a cooling pool and nice restaurant.
• Ananta Bagan is a new hotel in Bagan where there will always be low season bargains.
• Aye Yar River View Resort as the name suggests is on the banks of the river, a great place to relax. There is a good pool and rooftop terrace.
• Myanmar Treasure Resort Bagan on the edge of town is noted for its décor; lacquer has been used to great effect.
• Bagan Lodge in New Bagan is chalet style accommodation. There are two great pools to help guests relax and enjoy their holiday.
• Bagan Thiripyitsaya Sanctuary Resort is in the archaeological zone; Old Bagan. Pool, good dining and bike rentals are just a few of the features.
• Areindmar Hotel is in the heart of New Bagan yet the setting is lovely and the staff very friendly with help on hand for any queries.
• Bagan Hotel River View is close to the Archaeological Museum in Old Bagan. It has nice gardens by the river with two old pagodas in the grounds.
• Arthaka Hotel is comfortable accommodation in New Bagan with a great outdoor saltwater swimming pool
• Floral BreezeHotel has been newly renovated and with its beautiful outdoor grounds, offers a great place to relax after a busy day.
• Thazin Hotel in New Bagan comprises bungalows and rooms looking out at a pagoda. There could well be bargains in low season.
• Amazing Bagan Resort close to the Bagan Nyaung Oo Golf Club and 10 minutes by taxi from the airport is a little way from any action but that can be an advantage. There is a good pool and excellent restaurant.