If you imagine white sandy beaches and a warm blue sea, you’re imagining Con Dao. When it comes to Vietnam beaches, you are spoilt for choice. In terms of Con Dao, it is only just attracting the numbers of tourists it deserves, even though it has been known for many years. There are many small islands making up Con Dao and a number of beaches. It is an archipelago on the southeast coast of Vietnam and is a turtle breeding area to add to its other attractions.
Overseas tourists will find that Vietnam’s transport infrastructure is good with road and rail transport making all parts easily accessible. The nearest international airport is Ho Chi Minh City to the west. It is easy to organise a boat from the mainland to get to these lovely islands.
When it comes to the best time to visit Con Dao, it is difficult to think of a time when you wouldn’t go.
• An Hai Beach is ten minutes’ distant from the centre with Lo Voi to its north. The former is sheltered by the high mountains while the latter also has calm waters. It is difficult to think of a nicer place to relax and have a picnic.
• Nhat Beach is a lovely place to enjoy the sunset. It only reveals itself at low tide but there’s no reason not to enjoy just waiting to watch as the tide goes out.
• Dat Doc is a crescent-shaped cove in front of green hills. It is a great place to swim and go snorkelling. It is usually quiet.
• Dam Trau it at the base of some cliffs, 15 kilometres from Con Son Town. The sea is particularly stunning; the sky and lush forest help create emerald seas, a deeper colour than in many other places. The airport is extremely close incidentally.
• Suoi Nong Beach is just a small walk away along a forest trail and has been largely unknown. Mangrove forest is a feature of the backdrop.
Con Dao has developed in recent years to provide a good tourist infrastructure of hotels and restaurants. Those on organised Vietnam tour packages will have their transport and accommodation booked for them in advance. It is a good place for scuba diving with coral reefs and many species of fish. When it comes to a Vietnam beach holiday, Con Dao has a great deal to offer.